What is carbon monoxide?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odourless and colourless gas.
It is produced in small quantities by gasoline engines and other appliances that burn fuel with only partial or incomplete combustion.
If CO accumulates due to appliances not being well-maintained, or if they are not working properly, it could cause serious health problems, even death. However, a natural gas appliance that is well calibrated is just as safe as a standard-compliant electrical appliance.
Symptoms of CO poisoning
What to do?
Leave the building immediately.
Contact medical services by calling 9-1-1.
Make sure that the source of the carbon monoxide has been determined before returning to the building.
How to prevent poisoning
- Have your natural gas appliances regularly and carefully maintained.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector that meets CSA 6.19 or UL 2034 standards.
- Make sure that your exhaust vents and chimneys are working properly, and that the air intake and exhaust vents are cleared of snow in the winter.